Getting more regular/ Day Three

Alas, the phone camera cannot do this justice
So this is day three of my log. P.s. I just found Across the Wall by Garth Nix in the local library. Yeah. Get excited.
Day Three:

The onslaught continues. Ohm is like a greek grandmother—or Yiddish. Feeding me until I feel almost ill and then sneaking an extra helping when I’m not looking. This morning she had me eating about as much food as we shared last night together. But I did manage to get her not to stuff me with more food. That’s a step in the right direction, right? Wrong I’ll never claim to be a foodophile again.

But food woes aside, get this: I am literally living by the Mediterreanean sea right now. The breeze is divine and the color of the water is not quite the emerald of Aruba and not quite the New Haven beach. I spent all day lounging on the balcony reading Lireal, because let’s face it: The Old Kingdom Trilogy never, ever gets old.

Breakfast was greek yogurt with honey, baked pita with Ishta and the best boxed apple juice I have had in my entire life. I kid you not, this stuff was like magic. It immediately brought me back to Japan. While I like the way that Japan does fresh milk (better than Egypt’s in my humble opinion), Egypt’s juice is better than the way Japan does its juice (and here I’d thought that a feat nigh impossible!). I also have a tendency to collect addictions, usually food related, when I travel. In Japan I had a tumultuous affair with every コンビニー (conbinii) or convenience store in northern Kyoto. It was such a problem. Even now I find myself wondering how I can breathe without a conbinii break; in Russia, these light little pancake things that were wonderful with strawberry jam and cream. I get chills just thinking about them. In Egypt, I believe Ishta will win my steady affections, though I have been known for my infidelitous (palin speare? Naw. Too classy) ways in this certain aspect of my life.

Of course I would be remiss if I did not mention the sunset. I have a feeling that sunsets in Egypt will always be beautiful, but with a clear view of the horizon and the Medittereanean sea blustering below, the entire thing was breathtaking. The sun itself was rendered fair marigold and the sky was a startling array of plumish purple and candy clouds. It was interesting also to watch Amr as he awaited the sunset. It meant something else to him, the end of the fast, than it did to me, a thing a surpassing beauty. And for all our difference in thought, we both still marveled in the same way. It is a remarkable thing to study, the human capacity for expression.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

So I have been hinting at this, but just to confirm all of your suspicions, yes, I am Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. In all seriousness, I am once again abroad--In Israel now--and once things have settled into some form of normalcy I will begin to blog about my experiences here--and they are many!

Blogroll

About

More often than not, I read blogs that serve as daily diaries of a sort or review trollops (not that I don't enjoy my review strumpets). Astrum Umbrarum (or "of star shadows" as the Latin is translated), lies somewhere in between, as I have discovered over the years. Life Reviews. As I live, and travel, create and explore, I will discover beautiful things. This space is where I hope to share those things with all the snark they deserve.