Living Cathedral snippet

So this is a bit of Living Cathedral. This started off as a short story. I'm not done, but I may make it a novel. *Shrug*


He gave me a glimpse of his trademark smirk: a slight twitch of his lips and a backlight of hedonism gleaming through his eyes. That smile always made me a little uneasy. "Zeek--
"Did you have a weird dream?"
"Wha-- I blinked, and stopped to think. "I....I saw a living cathedral."
He raised an eyebrow at me, as if in nonchalance, but the expression on his face spoke differently. His naked confusion bid me to explain further. "Well...I was outside...and the sun was shining as brightly as I could imagine. There were these structures, sometimes grey and rough, sometimes brown and smooth that rose high into the sky above me and spread out in tinier talons. These paper thin... shards of color, auburn, orange, gold...all the shades in between...every purple I can imagine...they hung everywhere. It was...it was exquisite, Zeeke. Those shards--the colors--they formed a canopy above me and somehow carpeted the ground beneath...and the light...what--what?"
"You mean you've never seen trees before?" He snapped me out of my warm reverie. "I guess that's to be expected." He added in a smaller voice.
"Trees?"
"Living Cathedral though...that's good."
"Zeeke. What are you talking about?"
He was silent a moment more, maybe to tease me before he replied, "Nothing really...just something beautiful from my glory days.”
"Glory days as what?" The backlight of his eyes was sinister now. A twitch passed through me.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

So I have been hinting at this, but just to confirm all of your suspicions, yes, I am Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. In all seriousness, I am once again abroad--In Israel now--and once things have settled into some form of normalcy I will begin to blog about my experiences here--and they are many!

Blogroll

About

More often than not, I read blogs that serve as daily diaries of a sort or review trollops (not that I don't enjoy my review strumpets). Astrum Umbrarum (or "of star shadows" as the Latin is translated), lies somewhere in between, as I have discovered over the years. Life Reviews. As I live, and travel, create and explore, I will discover beautiful things. This space is where I hope to share those things with all the snark they deserve.