The Karate Kid

Okay so I will be the first to admit that remakes usually suck--excuse me, are bad. So when I saw the posters for the Karate Kid featuring Young Master Smith and Jackie Chan, my reaction was to be expected. Reer. Danger, DANGER! Steer Clear--AVAST YEE! Even as I watched the movie I was bracing myself for the collective squeal at the end "He was so great" and all that. But despite my cynicism, Younger master Smith was fantastic. And Jackie Chan? I officially forgive him for the Forbidden Kingdom.

Honestly, Jaden Smith is a talented little actor, his comedic timing is spot on and he handled being the displaced child phenomenally. His tears were real, his pain was real and I found myself cheering the little guy on in the end. He did his own stunts, which I respect--and am immensely impressed by (see the movie. You'll understand)--and I guess he can add kung fu master to his list of growing skills. I really do look forward to more from him.

Jackie Chan whipped around more then his fists in this film. He had some heavy acting chops. Seriously. He was funny--I mean really funny. Not just the awkward "hee, haw" because his accent is a little heavy. And the drama! Goodness he acted his role with fineness; I really am impressed with him. One thing I wish, is that we got a little more back story on his character. Like why does he have a dojo? Why does it seem like he and the evil karate teacher have history? That sort of thing. But the story you do get does explain his limp, his strange attire, and his tendency to stay away from large crowds.

I couldn't help but notice some of the really cool scene transitions (Smith kicking to trophy fade out to name one). As a movie alone this had really solid cinematography, not LOTR-- nothing can ever be LOTR-- but appropriate for the venue. And I did dig the music score, from epic to "Asia-land" cool, Karate Kid was solid here as well. The choice to do this movie in China was gold. I can never thank them enough for that. It would have been just bad, otherwise.

So that's my piece for now...I wanted to review Prince of Persia...but I'm not even going to go there. I'm still recovering, if you must know. This of course will be catelouged in my "Let's Go to the Movies" section.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

So I have been hinting at this, but just to confirm all of your suspicions, yes, I am Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. In all seriousness, I am once again abroad--In Israel now--and once things have settled into some form of normalcy I will begin to blog about my experiences here--and they are many!

Blogroll

About

More often than not, I read blogs that serve as daily diaries of a sort or review trollops (not that I don't enjoy my review strumpets). Astrum Umbrarum (or "of star shadows" as the Latin is translated), lies somewhere in between, as I have discovered over the years. Life Reviews. As I live, and travel, create and explore, I will discover beautiful things. This space is where I hope to share those things with all the snark they deserve.